Thursday, November 7, 2013

MS - Stress, Marriage, Wishful Thinking (Part 6)


Life was good. We had our condo, we had adopted two new kitties - Burt and Ernie, I was making decent money and my partner was making his move breaking into the Financial sector. He had finalized his Master's Degree and wanted to extend himself into an area where he could exercise his financial learnings and help people position themselves for the future. We were happy, but I was still waiting for the day when our relationship was more than 'loving partners'. I wanted to get married, but he was not as enthusiastic. So, we continued to live and enjoy life. But, I harbored a quiet stress.

About that time, I developed what I believed was Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. As a technical writer, I was always typing on the keyboard, so I didn't really pay much attention to it. I just got wrist supports and continued on. Looking back, I wonder if that was a signal that all was not completely balanced in my body.

I was getting busier at work. My partner and I  tried to make the most of our weekends, but I was always attached to a pager for customer emergencies. The demands on us were growing.

And then it happened. After 4 years of being together, he proposed! I was in shock, happy, and bewildered. After so many years of hearing his reasons for NOT wanting to get married, I could not understand his change of mind. But, he was true to his word - we set the date, and moved forward. I was still not presenting additional MS symptoms, so I started to believe I had beat the odds.

The day we set for our wedding was on a Saturday, the 13th of the month, in Salem Massachusetts. I don't think the odds were in my favor.


No comments:

Post a Comment