Thursday, June 28, 2012

MS and the stars

Last week the reports came in about Jack Osbourne and his MS diagnosis. I felt the emotional pain he must have gone through, remembering my own experience at 26 when I suffered from Optic Neuritus, lost my vision temporarily in both eyes, and was told I may develop MS one day. This was a time before MRIs, when the only 'official' diagnosis was via a spinal tap which I refused because I was afraid of the results (a cop-out, but my choice at that time).

Despite my denial, I was fortunate, as I hope Jack Osbourne will be. I was afraid and alone. So, I started a routine vitamin therapy on my own which - I believe - held additional exacerbations at bay for 14 years. I did not believe I would ever reach a stage of 'disability', but went on with my life and activities as if nothing ever happened: I road my bike in charity drives, I walked daily for exercise and for the love of walking, I travelled with friends and visited relatives overseas, got married-divorced-remarried, I skied, I danced, I did my gardening and yard work, renovated 2 homes, etc. etc. etc. Overall, I had a great life!

But gradually, the additional stresses of my job and the stresses of home life and my own belief that I could go without the MS medication for one year, finally led me to another exacerbation. This put me into the next reality of my experience with this disease - I experienced problems walking, and felt the wave of extreme exhaustion come over me at various times during the day. I couldn't operate 24/7 the way I used to, and multi-tasking began to wear me down. It was time to face the reality of my body's state and treat myself with care. I hope Jack Osbourne does the same so that he can enjoy many years of health and happiness with his new family.

I now walk with a cane at 54, and have a transport chair (my magical carpet ride) for longer stretches which my wonderful husband happily stears for me, I take my medication faithfully and restarted my vitamin and exercise/stretching regimen, I meet friends for dinner, walk my dog, make attempts to ride my bicycle, and have now transitioned to a gluten-free diet. Life is not the same as it was, but it's still a blessing to be alive and mobile!

My condition has taught me so many things about myself, my friends and family, work colleagues and my relationship with God. It is a crazy life, but the joy surrounding each of us every day is priceless. I always think of a little prayer when I'm feeling low which helps me to remember the reason why I'm here, "Thank you, Lord for all the things you have given me, all the things you have taken away, and joy to embrace another day."

Always find a rainbow in your heart!

2 comments:

  1. It takes real courage and strength to face the ever increasing challenges that life with MS throws at you. Andrea does it every day, often masking how difficult I know it is for her. It is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only my loving man can make me teary - love you, Honey.

      Delete